As a senior at Michigan State, I have had my share of hangovers. Here’s my guide to beating your hangover in a non-traditional way.
- Get out of bed. This is an obvious first step but is often the hardest. You can do it!
- Water, water, water.
- Eat a pile of scrambled eggs. I loosely define this as 3-4 eggs, but you will find your happy place with a little experimenting. One morning in Costa Rica, after a night of drinking, my brother’s and I each ate 7 eggs for breakfast. This was slightly nauseating but paid dividends on the trail later that day.
- Gear up. You will want the following items for your journey…
- Salty snacks (beef jerky and mixed nuts are my favorites).
- Walking stick (It’s nice to have something to lean on in case you loose your balance).
- Head to an easy local trail. I recommend avoiding anything too technical since you might still be a little wobbly from the night before. We wouldn’t want you tripping over your left foot and finding yourself tumbling down a cliff.
- Take your time and enjoy the fresh air. Once I get on the trail, I immediately start feeling better. Simply being in nature carries many benefits. You will feel less tense, your stomach will settle, and the rich air will relieve that nagging headache. Plus, if you get tired you can always take a quick nap on the nearest bench.
- Don’t push yourself too hard, the idea is to feel better not make yourself sick.
- Sip on water and Gatorade while you hike.
- Rest often.
- Bring your buddy who fell asleep on the couch. He’ll thank you after the hike.
If you follow these steps you will feel better in no time!
Happy hiking and good luck with that hangover,
-Michael J. Flora